Sunday, April 7, 2013

Father and Daughter do Copenhagen

So while I was leaving Rome on Saturday night, my dad had flown into Copenhagen Saturday morning. I gave him the best instructions I could on how to take the metro from the airport to the city and he was successful!
Sunday morning we explored Copenhagen a bit, and somehow Dad brought the best weather Copenhagen has seen since January. Pure sunshine! Cold, but sunshine. That afternoon we went to my friend Rosie's house for her 21st birthday brunch! Needless to say it was absolutely delicious, there were two quiches, apple cobbler, banana french toast, apple french toast, salads, breads, cheese, hash browns, and I'm definitely forgetting lots of things as well. We had a wonderful time with Rosie's friends and her super nice host family, eating and drinking and then chatting outside in the lovely sunshine. That evening I brought dad to my host family's house for dinner, which was equally delicious and then I proceeded to crush everyone in cards!! It was glorious. :)

Seeing as Monday was the day after Easter, I had no class! Dad and I ventured out to Frederiksborg castle, which was a bit of a long ride out there but sooo worth it. It's a castle/national museum, and they have almsot every inch of wall space covered in paintings! The chapel and Great Hall were both beautiful rooms, I recommend checking out pics on Facebook. We spent a long time in there and both probably took way too many pictures (thanks for that gene dad). There's a massive garden behind the castle, which unfortunately would have been way prettier had it been June or July. Afterwards we got some lunch after my somewhat successful translation of the menu, and ate outside with blankets on. It's still cold but you have to take advantage of the sunshine while it lasts! Upon getting back to the city, I took dad to Christiania, which was fulllll of people relaxing around the lake in the sunshine. We had a quick dinner at the Italian restaurant connected to dad's hotel, and then took the rest of the night to relax.

Since I had classes on Tuesday, we didn't do quite as much. Between my first and second class, I took dad to a cafe called The Living Room, which is literally the definition of Danish hygge. It's full of couches and comfy chairs, very dimly lit, with lots of candles. After my second class, we went to the Black Diamond, or Royal Library. Definitely need to go back there when it's sunny out and I have work to do! Then, I had tutoring, during which I learned that the 12 year old I tutor aspires to be a house music producer, is going to see a DJ in Stockholm alone, has a studio in his house, and spends thousands of kroner on DJ equipment. Shocking but kinda cool. Had dad over again for dinner and then he and my host dad Bjarne had a nice conversation about politics. Then rested up for the busy day tomorrow!

So on Wednesday we started out with a canal tour, for which there was nice weather but the wind on the water got a little chilly occasionally. But we got a great view of Nyhavn, Amalienborg, and the Royal Library. Afterwards, I took dad to Sandwich Pigeon, a DIS classic, and we ate before going to the Carlsberg brewery tour. Somehow we ended up running into my friends Katie and Catie who had gotten there just before us! So the four of us did the tour together, which was very very cool, and included two beers. Met some of the Carlsberg horses which was awesomeee. Also their bottle collection was incredible.. so many! After the tour, dad and I went back to his hotel to get ready for the ballet. We had a really good dinner at Kobenhavn Brewpup, which is right next to one of my classrooms. Then we headed to the Royal Theater to see Romeo and Juliet, which was just incredible. It was the only one of the 4 ballets I've seen so far to get a standing ovation. The dancers playing Romeo and Juliet were fairly young, but that just added so much to the ballet. I think maybe my favorite so far! Although I really liked La Bayadere as well.. Too many good ballets. Dropped dad off at his hotel, and said goodbye until May. So happy he got to come visit, and especially in the good weather! Copenhagen has actually changed from when I left for Rome to when I came back. So many tables outside (albeit with blankets, but whatever), more tourists, and new shops opening. Can't wait to see more of spring! Oh wait but today it rained/snowed/hailed... oh well. It was nice while it lasted.

Coming up in my adventures...
- lots of work this week. yay?
- Ellie Goulding with Rosie!
- London for Stevie's 21st and staying with Faye!
- Milan to visit Ginevra and her family!

Stay tuned for pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment