Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hellooo Scotland!

So I've been mia for quite a bit but with good reason! Here are some updates on my travels:

After almost missing my flight to Edinburgh (thanks EasyJet for posting the gate like ten minutes before it closes) I landed and miraculously found Jim without any kind of communication. I thought I'd gotten used to the opposite side of the road situation in Belfast, but when I walked up to Jim's car and went to the right side he said, "Oh are you driving?". I only made that mistake like... well all the time. Friday night we went to a cool tapas restaurant and then to a bar to watch the Wales vs. Scotland football match. Apparently, this was the match between two of the worst teams.. and sadly Scotland lost. Regardless, the atmosphere was really cool. The bar was an old bank, so it was huge and was a really cool building. The one time Scotland scored there was so much cheering!
Saturday, Jim and I did an underground ghost tour of Edinburgh. We went through underground vaults that run underneath the Royal Mile, and heard some pretty creepy stories. Sadly it was absolutely frigid that day and our poor guide couldn't wear any gloves to fit with his character! Then we found Erin and spent some time catching up with her :) It was sooo nice to be back with two of my favorite TP people. We got some Dominos for dinner, which was also such a nice reminder of home. We also saw Jim's sister Rachel donate most of her hair to an organization to help make wigs for children who have lost their hair to chemo!
That night, we went to a 50th birthday party of a family friend of Jim's. All I can say is... IT. WAS. AWESOME. Never have I ever (and probably never will I again) be at such a cool birthday party, especially for someone turning 50! It was just down the road, not in a big bar or anything, just a house, but they know how to throw a party better than any bar or club I think. They had so much food, and a seemingly endless supply of alcohol. Everyone was so so nice as well, and it's awesome to have so many people interested in the fact that you're American. Occasionally there were accents I couldn't understand but whatever scottish accents are the greatest. I was getting sleepy around midnight but had to catch a second wind because the dancing didn't stop until 3 or 4 am! The only thing I can really say to describe the party is this video...



Sunday Erin, Jim and I went into Edinburgh and visited Camera Obscura, this awesome optical illusion exhibit with a camera up top to see a 360 degree view of Edinburgh. Some very fun pictures came out of that exhibit which I recommend checking out on Facebook for a good laugh. On my flight back I started to realize just how special tyler place relationships really are. In all of my years there, as both a guest and staff, many of the people I've met have gone on to become my best friends (also boyfriends). I still have a set of best friends from my years as a guest, and now I have a new set of best friends from working there. And while these are friends I see maybe only once or twice a year, it always shocks me how it's always as if nothing changed when we see each other again. It's an amazing thing which I can't ever accurately explain to people (I know Emily shares that same issue with me seeing as we have both tried to write about Tyler Place for various school assignments and it never does it justice). My weekend with Erin and Jim was amazinggg and it only made me that much more excited to get to Vermont this summer, and for Erin to visit TP13!

No comments:

Post a Comment